Saturday 7 June 2014

The Perfect Pack

This past month has been a month of making lists.  Lists, upon lists.  We’ve even created a few spread sheets.  It must be our “inner nerd” coming out in us, haha.  I’m sure my Dad would be proud of us, as he has a spread sheet for almost everything.  Aren’t you proud Dad? (I know you’re reading this).  But actually-  Lists, spreadsheets, etc, they are all so necessary when planning a year like the one that is ahead of us! 

So what are all these details, you ask?  Well, let me fill you in on some of the things we’ve been up to.  Aside from reading a ton of other travel blogs, websites, magazines, and 
so on about European travel tips, a few weeks ago we each created a packing list for the summer.  Though my list was extremely simplistic, I’ve had to make a few purchases.  One being my new backpack!!!  I’m super pumped about it (if you hadn’t already noticed).  I had my heart set on finding a pack with certain requirements.  Those being:

  • Convertible backpack (backpack that zips open like a suitcase/duffle bag.  As opposed to the standard backpackers pack that you stuff things in from the top.  How in the world am I to keep anything organized in a pack like that?
  • No larger than 45 litres.  Preferably 40 litres.  When I started my search, I found that you jump from 25 litres to 45 litres, to 65+ litres.  25 seems a little small for a whole summer (more of a day pack size), and the 65+ litres are massive!  Though I feel like a lot of people use the large backpacks, I just don’t think that would be comfortable to lug around with you.
  • Simple design.  Enough of all the straps, gadgets, and gizmos!  I just want a clean looking backpack.  Without all those dangling straps and unnecessary clips and zips.
  • Lightweight.  I know there is an extra frame and padding added to the pack to add comfort, which is a good thing…. However, when you are already packing it full of stuff to carry, I really don’t want the bag itself to contribute to an aching back.

Simple list, right?  Somewhat?  Yeah… I found out it wasn’t so simple when I started my hunt.  I did a lot of looking around online, but always felt unsure of purchasing online because I really wanted to try on the pack.  So, considering St.Catharines has a limited amount of outdoor adventure stores, we took a few trips to Toronto to do some serious searching.  Yet, nothing that fit all my requirements.  I found one I liked at MEC, though it was too small.  I also found one at Europe Bound, but it was too expensive (trust me, these packs can be expensive!!).  So that was discouraging.  Time was ticking, and my backpack is an essential part of preparing!  I finally ended up finding one online at MEC that seemed to be a perfect fit.  But of course they were out of stock.  Not only would I not be able to try it on, they actually weren’t expecting to have any to send for another 5 weeks!  So, I began my online search for this specific pack, and ended up finding it on an American website called MooseJaw.  Despite not being able to try it on, I ordered it.  A week later, it had arrived, and it was perfect!  I do have to say, the packaging itself almost sold me before I even looked at the bag.  This company is hilarious!  Check out the graphics on the package:
It has arrived! Oh, the anticipation!

LOL
Sure, we'll make time for some french kissing in between climbing and trail running
Aww, thanks Jim.
This gave both Zack and myself a good laugh.  The bag itself is pretty cool too. Haha.  I’ve now started laying things out that I will be packing and it feels so surreal!  I’ve never been so excited about a backpack before, and felt so on top of my packing list (I’m usually super last minute with my packing, and end up tossing in way too much clothing than I actually need).  I found these photos online, but I thought they give a fairly good overview of what the pack is like.  I purchased the black.  Here is the "Gregory Compass 40":













No comments:

Post a Comment